|Real Estate Information|
Buying Overseas Property
Fourteen Top Tips for Overseas Property Investment:
1. Buy what you want to buy. The most important decision when buying a property is deciding exactly what you want the property to do for you. Is it purely for short term capital gain to provide a one-off profit over a particular period of time? Or is it to provide long term regular income? Or is it mainly for your own use as a holiday home?
2. Ignore the hard sell. Many people go to dedicated overseas property exhibitions or go on overseas trips or "inspection flights" to view properties. It is important to stay focused on what you originally had in mind. Do not be swayed by the hard sell of estate agents.
3. Be careful buying off-plan. Off-plan involves buying a property before it is built. You cannot see exactly what you are buying and it can be a long time before the property and surrounding development is completed. Problems can arise if the building is not constructed according to the original schedule.
4. Allow 10% extra for expenses. The cost of buying a property abroad (taxes, conveyancing, lawyers fees, agents fees, VAT, etc) can be much higher than in your own country. The total can add up to 10% to the cost of buying a property.
5. Buying in an up-and-coming area. This will increase your capital appreciation. Buying in the fashionable areas of Spain or France means that property prices are already expensive and may not increase much further, or increase at a slower pace than in the past. Buying in a less-fashionable area of Spain or France, or in the up-and-coming property markets of Bulgaria, Turkey, and Croatia where prices are still low will increase the chance of a rapid price increase. It is important to note that the less-fashionable and up-and-coming areas still need to have all the virtues of the more established destinations. What you are really looking for is an undiscovered property hotspot. Often such places are neighbouring the more fashionable and expensive areas.
6. Buy a property in a place that is popular with locals as well as tourists. You should always think of the exit route from your investment. The day will come when you want to sell your property and you will want to have the largest possible potential market. Ideally your investment property should be an attractive property for investors of different nationalities as well as a possible home for local residents.
7. Adequate shops, restaurants, and facilities. Most people who want to use a property as a holiday home will want to be near shops, restaurants, and other facilities. This is particularly important if you want a rental income from your investment.
8. Is there an airport nearby? Is there adequate public transport? People who rent property will want somewhere that is easy to get to and will often gravitate to those places with a nearby airport.
9. Consider the property off-season. The property and area might look lovely in summer when all the restaurants and bars are open. But what about winter? Do all the facilities close? Does the area become a "ghost town"?
10. A room with a view. A view is a major bonus from both the rental and the resale perspective. A sea view is top of most peoples list but rural or mountain views can be just as stunning. Nothing beats sitting on a balcony or roof terrace wathcing the setting sun. Beware though that views can change and your beautiful view could be replaced by a view of a new concrete apartment block. Check local planning regulations carefully!
11. Check the inheritance laws of the country where you are buying. You may need a separate will made in that country as well as a will made in your home country. In France for example your children automatically inherit your house; your estate does not pass to your spouse.
12. Get your own independent advice. Do not rely on a lawyer recommended by the property agent or developer.
13. Learn the language of the country you are buying in. You don't have to become fluent but you should learn as much as you can.
14. Above all, buy a property YOU like in a place YOU like. The chances are that if you love it and would enjoy staying there then others will too!
Copyright 2005 Hugh Griffin
Through my website at http://www.saharapress.biz I provide independent advice on buying property abroad. With many years of experience my advice is highly recommended by past clients. Follow my guidelines at http://www.the-place-in-the-sun.com if you are considering buying a home or investment property abroad.
This RSS feed URL is deprecated, please update. New URLs can be found in the footers at https://news.google.com/news
Home Staging Strategies
Who are you preparing your home to sell to?You, as a home seller, have two initial choices.1.
Preserve Equity, Build for the Future Using a 1031 Tax Exchange
Thinking of trading up on an investment resort property? If so, look into 1031 Tax Exchanges (based on IRS Code Section 1031), which allow taxpayers to defer taxes on capital gains resulting from the sale of investment real estate, often a sizable sum since combined Federal and State taxes can run as high as 38 percent.With an exchange, owners are able to preserve equity, while still selling the property.
Be Patient Screening Tenants
Rental real estate is a solid way to make money. I'm particularly fond of residential properties, because people have to live somewhere.
Ten Steps for Becoming a Successful Real Estate Investor
The secret to success in real estate investment is finding bargain properties that you can "flip" quickly for a profit. Here are a few ideas for becoming a successful investor:1) Obtain sound advice from investors who are already successful.
Find the Right Apartment Quickly and Easily Using an Apartment Locator Service
You've probably seen the ads or heard about apartment locators. But what do they really do and why should you choose an apartment locator to help you find an apartment area?One of the biggest reasons to use an apartment locator is the fact that there are hundreds of apartments to choose from.
How Do I Bring Consulting Into My Lease Purchase Business
As you are making your cold calls on property, you will run into sellers that are having a hard time selling, however, the numbers just don't work for you to take on the deal. Do you just say, "I can't work with those numbers".
Where To Start In Looking For A Central Illinois Realtor
Central Illinois is an excellent location for families andbusinesses. Property values and local economies are growingconstantly and the wide range of available properties isimpressive.
Minneapolis Warehouse Loft
Downtown Minneapolis is rich with true metropolitan charm. With the growth of an incredible entertainment district, a wonderful artistic community, and all the opportunities of a large urban center, downtown Minneapolis is pleasantly thriving.
Home Owners: Disclose the Facts!
One of the most common causes for disputes occurring after the sale of a home arise from the buyer finding defects in the property, defects which were not disclosed to him by the owner before the sale of the property. If you are the owner of a home that you are looking to sell, please be aware that you may be held liable for not disclosing any known defects in your home.
NAR® Broker Will Swear It - Real Pro' Agents Share It - FSBO Truth
For posting the "Truth" on your website, some FSBO's will not like you. These prospects would not have listed with you anyway.
Relocation Humor: Why I Bought A House
The Rental Experience in South FloridaReaders: This is based on a true experience -- only slightly exaggerated -- part of my life of adventure.If I had read my own book, Making the Big Move, and followed my own advice, none of this would have happened! A word to the wise .
Invest In Real Estate - But Where?
Where should you invest in real estate? If you know an area well, and have enough experience investing in real estate, you can make money almost anywhere. However, there are always places that are better or worse for real estate investments - places that have a better demand/supply ratio.
Dead Deals and Recycled Reports
Everyone knows that at the end of a home inspection, a report is generated that outlines the findings of the home inspector. But did you know that this is not intended to be a "hit list" of negatives? Us home inspectors do what we do in order to objectively describe the home.
Real Estate Investing - The Marvel Of Home Depot And Lowes
Repairing a rental home (or your own home) use to require running down to the local hardware store or to the nearby building supply house. After several stops around town, you found everything you needed to solve your maintenance problem.
How to Build A Rental Property Money Machine
If you are looking for a steady, income-producing investment that isn't dependent on the ups and downs of the stock market, rental property is just the investment you're looking for!As lucrative as owning rental property can be, the wrong property can be a bottomless money pit. You need to know how to go about locating property, finding tenants, managing the rental, and how to make your investment profitable.
How to Buy a Home When Your in Your Twenties
A Single's Game of Real Estate(Getting started in your twenties)Due to the fact that most of us grow up in either a rented apartment or our parent's single family home, it stands to reason that most people, when beginning to ask themselves the question of purchasing their own dwelling, will come to the conclusion that a condo or small house is probably the way to go. That's a result of conditioning and it's a hard mindset to break! After taking the time to talk to or personally guide a respectable number of people in their twenties, I have come to find that firm, direct and accurate information can really adjust the reality of how real estate can be acquired and used to their best advantage starting with property that sets the tone for a much more profitable and rewarding future.
Dont Just GET THE DEED - The Infamous Kitchen Table Closing
Q: Hi Lou, I have a property under contract that I want to resell/flip as-is to a rehabber/renovator, but I may have to purchase it quickly and simply record the Quit Claim Deed, without using a closing attorney or waiting for a title exam. I need your advice.
A Log Home Story
Solving problems while maximizing valuesThis story has a few good lessons and observations that no doubt can be used by you to take advantage of hidden opportunities that often lie in plain view for all to see, however, most people have not been trained or instructed on how to recognize or find them.The following true story begins with a classic log home package, engineered, manufactured, approved and delivered for use in Alaska.
Buying Foreclosures - Knowing Why Helps You Buy
One big potential deal-killer in buying foreclosures is the homeowner. If the homeowner does not trust you, buying their home (even at a foreclosure auction) can become a greater challenge.
The Art & Science of Property Valuation -- Automated Valuation Models
It is no secret that sellers want to sell high and buyers want to buy low. But they often arrive at the negotiating table with very different ideas on price.
|home | site map|
|© 2006 TIGER MEDIA|