|Real Estate Information|
Why Real Estate Investment?
Why should you invest in real estate? Well, investing in real estate for profit is one of the most popular approaches to generating additional income in the United States today. In fact, if you pay attention to recent press you will have seen numerous reports about the real estate investment craze that seems to be sweeping the Nation.
When done carefully and intelligently, real estate can yield fantastic benefits that can not be achieved through any other type of investment. Here are just a few examples of why real estate investing can be such a powerful wealth generator.
1. Real Estate Markets Are Slow to React - Although real estate, like everything else, has ups and downs, it is generally a lot slower to react than the stock market. For example, you won't get up in the morning and discover that your real estate investment is worth ten or twenty percent less than it was yesterday.
2. Leverage. You can borrow money to buy real estate, whereas, generally you can not borrow money to buy stocks. You can control a large dollar value of real estate with a small amount of your own money by using loans and mortgages. The stock market, by law, limits the amount of leverage (margin) you can use to buy stock. There are no such limits with real estate.
3. You Can Purchase Real Estate For Less Than Its Market Value. In many cases you can purchase a property for as low as 60 to 70 percent of the market value. When buying stocks, you may be able to find a stock that is considered "under valued" but generally it's tough to do that on a regular and consistent basis.
4. Real Estate Offers A Tremendous Amount Of Tax Advantages Through Depreciation. Real estate basically has two values, the land and the building(s) on the land. For example, if a property is valued at $250,000 and the assessed value of the land is $75,000, the building would be worth $175,000.
The government allows real estate investors to depreciate the value of the building in equal parts over its "useful life" which is defined as 27.5 years. So for example, based on the $175,000 building value above, the annual depreciation value would be $6,363.63 ($175,000 divided by 27.5). This means that for tax purposes, the investor would be able to reduce his/her annual income by $6,363.63!
Many people find the notion of depreciation to be confusing since it's not really a loss of money. I recommend you check with a qualified tax professional for more details and how this can benefit you.
5. Real Estate Markets Are Insulated Local Markets. For instance, when the stock market falls, it takes down just about everybody and everything involved with it. When home values drop in one city such as New York, generally it does not affect property values in other cities like Boston or Chicago. To protect yourself, you can have a "geographically diversified" portfolio of real estate investments to hedge against these types events.
6. You The Investor Can Control The Value. Another aspect of real estate investment is that unlike any other investment, this investment is controlled by the investor. For example, as an investor, you can increase the value of your investment property by making some modifications to the property such as adding a garage or replacing the carpet, etc. With stocks or any other investment, the investor can't do anything to increase the value of the investment.
7. The Efficient Market Hypothesis (EMH). When a market has prices that always "fully reflect" available information, it is called "efficient". The stock market for example is considered by most to be an efficient market. When you call your broker to purchase or sell a stock, you can be sure of one thing - the price you bought or sold the stock for was indeed the "correct" price for that stock on that day and at that time. Why? Because the existing price for the stock will already incorporate and reflect all relevant available information about the company such as earnings, and other metrics.
With real estate, the market is very inefficient. Unlike the stock market, with real estate, the "correct" price discovery mechanism is left to each buyer and seller to figure out on their own. There is the almost always uncertainty as to whether the price offered by the seller is too high or too low. Moreover, there is typically little to no help available from analysts and research agencies (like when dealing with stocks) in this respect. This inefficiency is the very reason why real estate offers such a great investment opportunity to be smart and win! But it requires experience and a sharp eye for good deals and great negotiation skill. This expertise can be developed.
If done correctly, real estate is probably one of the smartest investments you could ever make. Hopefully this short rambling has provided you with a fresh perspective of the many benefits of real estate investing. So be smart, continue to learn and above all don't wait for some magic moment, just get started.
To Your Success!
Rik Foote is the President & CEO of The Dorian Group, Inc. Dorian is a software company that develops affordable software applications designed to help beginners get off to a realistic and practical start as real estate investors. To learn more about Dorian's products and services visit http://www.reiscouts.com
This RSS feed URL is deprecated, please update. New URLs can be found in the footers at https://news.google.com/news
The Rent's Too Damned High: 15000 words on the ways real-estate speculation and inequality have killed NYC - Boing Boing
No-commission real estate agents sell your home at a fraction of the cost - The Mortgage Reports (blog)
Getting Raw Land, Not a Raw Deal!
There is more to buying raw land than meets the eye and more than a few individuals have wished they'd had a second chance upon finding themselves duped, conned, misled, ill-advised, uninformed, oversold, undereducated and often unprepared. They realize, often too late, that a raw land purchase should be properly investigated, evaluated and negotiated using a logical and rational plan.
Property Investment Strategy: Securing Properties with Little or No Deposit
Property Investing often requires creative strategies to make it successful. Professional property investors often use the option contract as a tool to develop some useful investment strategies.
Home Equity or Debt Trap?
Are you using the equity from your home to purchase everyday things? This is a dangerous trend growing more popular every month as millions of Americans tap into the value of their home to fund a lifestyle.How many times have you heard the saying "Your home is the best investment you'll ever make"? How many times have you also heard that your home will be the most valuable asset you will ever own?Both of these are as true, if not truer, today than at any time in the past.
Property Investors, Scrub Your Thoughts and Start Again - Brazil, Brazil, Brazil!
Brazil Property - FortalezaThe PlaceWhat to do in a place like this - You can swim, surf, dive, sail, golf, play ball, ride, explore, bargain hunt, sight see, explore, drive a dune buggy for 100 miles in any direction, or take a jeep up a steep mountain trail. You can explore environmental preserves, or just swing in a hammock and do nothing at all.
Realtors Brainstorm For Business
Even though rates are down opening up the market for even the otherwise unqualified buyers, realtors are desperately brainstorming to keep their professional status above in the real estate field.People are learning how to sell their own real estate.
I Already Have an MLS Listing, Why Do I Need an Internet Ad?
In today's real estate market, astute buyers are also looking to realize savings by dealing directly with the seller. They use internet search engines and keyword sets (Atlanta real estate advertising, Atlanta for sale by owner, Atlanta FSBO) to locate for sale by owner (FSBO) properties on the web.
The Secret to Maximum Real Estate Profits: Lighting
Lighting is the most important detail of interior Design Psychology for selling houses. Lighting influences a prospective buyer's feelings within a space more than any other interior design element.
Fraud in Real Estate, Are You Being Victimized? - Part II
The phone range and Peter was on the other end of the line. "Willard, I have a friend of mine that has a real estate problem.
What are the Top 11.5 Criteria for Selecting an Orlando Investment Property
1. Make sure units are larger than 1800 square feet.
Real Estate Investing In Belize
Any trip to Belize starts fantasies of owning a beach villa, or a jungle resort. There are a lot of North Americans in this English speaking, former English colony.
Credit Help: Buying Real Estate -- Not the Same as Buying Cars
Credit for Buying Real Estate is Different than Credit for Buying CarsForget what you've been told about credit.You may be shocked at some of these tips because this information runs contrary to what other so called experts tell you.
Understanding the Escrow (Closing) Process
1. What is an escrow?Escrow is defined as a process where parties deposit instructions and funds with a "disinterested" third party until conditions of the instructions are met.
Rental Properties: 10 Ways To Increase Income
What if you want better cash flow from your rental properties? You can't just raise the rents arbitrarily. If tenants leave, income goes down, not up.
Internet Battleground for Future of Residential Real Estate
Real estate agents are gearing up to face the biggest shift in their industry since it's beginning. No longer the first in the path of homebuyers and sellers, agents have gone from top feeders to the bottom feeders with real estate consumers in just a few years.
Real Estate Feasibility Study (Cost Side) - $1.2 Billion Developer Tells You How To Do One
There are two sides to real estate development feasibility study: The Cost Side & The Income Side.I am going to concentrate in this article on The Cost Side.
Top 7 Reasons Why FSBOs Fail To Sell Their Home On Their Own!
In the United States, less than 10% of all For Sale by Owners (FSBOs), are successful in selling their home by themselves. That*s because most people just give up because they don*t realize from the beginning the difficulty and complexity of the job ahead.
Buying a Home - Dealing With Lender Letters
Most people who set out to buy a home, be it house, townhouse, condo, apartment, or mansion on a hill, know they need to have a lender letter in hand saying they are qualified for a loan. What most "civilians" (people not in the real estate business) don't realize is how much the value of a lender letter varies.
How to Calculate Real Estate Rehab Profits
If you are investing in real estate you will face a variety of challenges. First you have to find the right property.
How to Prepare Yourself for Owning a Dual Purpose Second Home
If you are thinking about buying a second home, you are not alone. A 1995 survey by the American Resort Development Association found that 60 percent of households surveyed feel they have a likely chance of purchasing a recreational property in the next ten years, a figure that rose 30% from the survey in 1990.
Essential Buyer's Guide for Overseas Real Estate
It's been said many a time that overseas real estate buyers leave their brain on the plane when they step out into the sun in their overseas destination of choice. They've already fallen in love with the country, its people, climate and lifestyle and they've come to snap up that dream home.
|home | site map|
|© 2006 TIGER MEDIA|